Saturday, November 19, 2005

Sudden Death

Today I went to Simi Valley for another Taekwondo tournament. No matter how many times I go to one, it always feels weird.

This ones very peculiar for me. Its only Willy and me that represent our studio. Just the two of us. Against some 7 other studios, each with 50 students.

While we wait for hours and watch the other people spar, we discuss the strategies about our fighting.

As we get into the 2nd hour, we watch as some gets kicked in the head and goes tumbling onto the floor. Ouch

Our separate divisions are called up, so I put on my gear and head out.

The tournaments go like this. You win? Keep fighting. Lose? Your out.

My first match is a hulking 160 lb guy. I saw the weight on the card that we all have. Turns out he is pretty damn slow and I get easy counters as he turns to kick me. I win 9-4.

And then a break occurs and im called back in the ring 10 minutes later.

Now its a leaner, more trained 140 lb guy.

As the referee sets us off, he spins wildly and his foot catches me in the chest. As I reel back, he spins again for another point. I jump to the side while thrashing out my leg, giving me a counter.

To spectators, it would be like to watch two massive tornados of kicks, trying to cancel each other out.

First round ends, im losing 1-3. Second round begins. As I am tossed out into the ring, I think on how to beat him. He has longer legs, and hes quicker. Stick close to him.

My strategy works. At close range, he cant spin around and I unleash a fury of attacks, tieing the score at 5-5.

Theres only two rounds. So the referees make a decision. Sudden Death. First one that get a point first wins the gold.

We meet again for the final time in the ring. As the referee starts us of, I barely have time to think. He already moves towards me, lifting up his legs. I try to block it but its too late. He made a point.

I go home with a silver.

We shake hands and receive our medals, my rounds are over. I watch Willy's match. He gets the gold.

We congratulate each other. Then we depart the tournament grounds. Silver. My first silver medal. Not bad.......not bad at all.

And so it shall be.......

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg clyde imma kill u!!!!!!!! y wasnt i invited in this tornamen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how rude................okay great asshole..........watever i gotta go to p.e now.

10:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im kidding clyde!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate sparring

3:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home