Friday, May 27, 2005

To Live

Waking up and then walking down is always a pain in the ass for me. One day i went down to the bus stop earlier than usual. No one else was there, and i got to sit on the stone grave that we use as a bench all by myself. It was a cold and foggy morning, and all i had was shorts and a t-shirt on. I was just wondering on what i got on the spanish test ( got a A, 64 points), when i saw a man with a broom sweeping. He was in a hooded jacket and faded jeans. I knew this guy. I knew this guy since i could walk to the park. This guy was the same man that took care of this park for the same 20 years.

Somehow i am then reminded of my childhood. I remember being 6 years old when my first grade teacher, Mrs. Lemarr, asked me what i wanted to be when i grew up. I didnt know. Everyone wasnt to be a NASCAR driver, police, nurse, doctor, but i didnt know. I just stared at her blankly. She read my mind and went on to the next person. 4 years later my dad brings it up.

" What do you to do with your life Clyde?"

'...................i dont know'

Then a year ago, i just made up a job just to make everyone happy. So then i just said,' I want to be a botanist. ( hey, it worked)

But then i asked myself, ' What the hell am i going to do?' I just sat down and contemplated on this little question that has ruled my first 11 years of my life. Then i knew the answer, i knew what i wanted to do with my life.

A few months ago, my father then asked me once again,' So, what do you want to do with your life?'

I smiled, looked him straight in the eye and said with the wisdom of a Korean Confucious.......................


' To live and die happy'


And now i come back to my senses. I look at the man that runs this park. I hear him humming the tune to a personal song of his. I see the joy in his face. I know that he loves breaking his back and straining his muscles just to open and close the park everyday. He might not have a Lexus or plasma TV's, mansions or vacations to Hawaii. But he has more than most people will ever have. I smile, lay back, and peer at the grey skies ahead waiting for the man to finish his life duties.



To live and die happy, no more, no less...............and so it shall be

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home