Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Union




When I was on my soccer team, we were all brothers. We didn’t care what the other guy look like. We didn’t take waterfalls from each others bottles, either because we were too tired to lift them up that high, or we couldn’t afford to waste any water.

We played hard, and we won 2 championships. We got 2nd in the Celtic Cup, and when we were tied for 1st place, we triumphed and ran off the field yelling, running towards our grand trophies. We were a brotherhood of 12 year olds.

And when we lost, we lost together. There was one game that i will never forget. The game that made me wonder if i really wanted to be on this team. The game that eventually, lead to my soccer career's demise. the game ended and we lost horribly. i think it was 9-0. I wasn’t on my toes, i couldn’t save the ball quick enough, and my defense line was getting sliced through. We sat, ashamed on the sidelines. Coach told us to talk amongst ourselves to explain our horrendous loss. Amir started tearing, and Brian, one of the star players also had tears in his eyes. We sat in total silence. It was the worst checkpoint of soccer I’ve been through.

" Our defense was horrible..........." Justin finally pouts.

Jacob and Jeff look down at their shoes sullenly while Jeremy burst out angrily, " What about Clyde, hes the FUCKING GOALIE!!"

I have nothing to say. What can i say? I look down shamefully when Keon sticks up for me.

"Its not his fault"

Now Brian jumps in too, " Yeah man, stop letting the balls go like he's the best goalie in the league"

Amir is still tearing, he’s still pissed.

" Look, its all our faults" Kyle lectures, " We did everything, we lost everything"

We go home, and while i was walking across the parking lot, Brian calls out to me, " Hey, don’t feel too bad, it wasn’t your fault"

"Thanks Brian.........."



We were a brotherhood that felt every foul committed on our team. We felt the exhilaration of another goal. We felt the sadness of another game loss. We rose and fell together.

I quit the team. I did it so the team can find a better goalie. I did it so the team can still win championships, win tournaments, and party their asses off at their celebration party.

I look at the shelves and look at the trophies i earned while with them. I look at our poster, in which my team smiles at me.

I did it for the union..........I did it, for them

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home