Friday, March 24, 2006

Like Father, Like..............

As i try another futile attempt to try to overpower my Dad in a arm wrestle, he pins down my arm onto the ground.

"I don’t think ill ever beat you " I remark while standing up.

"Hahaha, in three years." My dad replies. "Its going to be a sad day when you beat me"

"Why?" i ask.

"The first time i beat my father at arm wrestling, it was a very sad day, because i knew he was getting old." He explains.

I detect a slight bitterness and longing in his voice, and i leave it at that. I remember a story i was told a long time ago.


There was this boy in Korea, who was always beat. Every little thing he did wrong, he dad beat him with a stick. His dad was relentless in punishment. As he grew up though, the son got stronger.

He eventually became stronger than his dad, but didn’t show it. When his dad found out that he forgot to close the milk, making it spoil, his dad grabbed the stick and went over to beat him.

As hw swung, the son reached out and grabbed his dad's arm, stopping it from reaching his back. The dad felt his son's power, for he couldn’t move at all.

The son released his grip, and the dad backed away slowly out of the room, still trying to understand what happened.

But later that night, the son cried. He cried for hours throughout the night.

He is now in his elder years, about 57. He now says, "That is one of the biggest things i regret in this life. I should’ve let him beat me"


I look back at my dad. The years have had its effect, more in some ways than others. I feel sad knowing that we all are going to die one day.

That’s why i only like to think about the next 5 minutes.

It helps............sometimes.

And so it shall be...........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home