Friday, June 17, 2005

Stern



Forget what I said about less postings. I profile will make more actually. Traveling around the city makes some pretty interesting stories.

One of Korea's most famous musical instruments are the Korean Drums. And today I went to one of their schools. When I saw the students, they were all girls. Typical, most korean drummers were women since they were judged mostly by beauty and grace.

And when they performed, it was pretty good. The Korean festivals in LA had drummer, and these girls were pretty good. Then one of the mom's standing by said, ' You know, they're all beginners.'

Holy shit. It takes some serious shit to play Korean drums. I must say, Korean drums kick more ass than american rock drums ever will. Just watching them pound every drum on each side is better than the sound of Green Day. Its fun to watch. And the beats good. But its hard. And I mean hard as in Micheal-Jackson-little-boys hard.

First you need muscle. Keeping those arms pounding for hours isnt easy.

Second, good memory. These guys play for hours and they dont have any music sheets. And you dont just stand there pounding, you have to step, twirl, and dance across the drums. If you've seen the movie Drumline, it was like that except more kick-ass and oriental.

Third, good coordination. Everything has to be perfect. And I mean everything. Mess up and the whole beats ruined. Every body motion has to be completed perfectly. In the school, I saw one of the girls mess up in a 18 drum piece and they had to start over.

And then they boys. When the boys play Korean drums, its only enjoyable when by the advanced ones. When I saw the young one twirl around, I almost laughed. But my
discipline from my brother's dojang and I suppressed it. I had to in my bros dojang. One slight mistake and I got my ass beat. If I can do it there, I could do it in the korean drum school. I looked straight on, not twitching or moving, giving me the characteristics of a statue.


I enjoyed the 45 minutes of drum beating. After that i went back to the dojang, where i gave a beating in sparring class. God bless hook kicks.............and so it shall be

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHY??? U LIAR!!! U LIED ABOUT NOT POSTING!!! NO!!!! (Well, that means more comments for me! Wow, I acctually like making biased comments about Clyde...)

9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home